Tuesday, April 28, 2009

To Make You Laugh...And Wonder

"This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Becaue I don't like women in skirts and the best thing to wear is some pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then, you have pants under the skirt and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today."

~ Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale



Though the Beales are not pictured above, I think this photo is a great background for this quote! Who can watch GreyGardens and not feel like you are witnessing an amazing and curious disaster unfold, only to realize it may not be a disaster afterall. Though at first seeming to be completely nonsensical, this mother and daughter team may make more sense than we realize. They became a national attraction for their reclusive and often downright bizarre and hygiene-challenged lifestyle, it makes one wonder what the world might think if they followed us around for a year or two. Here's to you, Beales!




Big Edie: The cat's going to the bathroom right on the back of my portrait.

Little Edie: God, isn't that awful?

Big Edie: No, I'm glad he is. I'm glad somebody's doing something he wanted to do.

3 comments:

Dede Warren said...

I LoVe this film Sarah! It's so odd, but so endearing. I too agree that these two are not so far off, than it might appear at first glance.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see this...have you seen the new film or the documentary?

Linda Jo said...

I haven't gotten all the way through Grey Gardens yet...but I am beyond that line in the movie. Hysterical!!!!! I dvr'd it!